FTSE 100 gains ground as global markets shrug off political uncertainty
Friday 08:35 BST
● Pound plunges as UK election delivers hung parliament
● FTSE 100 higher as foreign currency earners gain, FTSE 250 falls
● Global markets shrug off UK and US political uncertainty
● US and European equity benchmarks firm
● Dollar rises, while “havens” like the yen and gold dip
The pound is falling sharply after the UK election delivered a hung parliament.
Sterling is down 2 per cent to $1.2698, it is off 1.8 per cent to £0.8811 per euro, and is sliding 1.6 per cent versus the Japanese yen to change hands at ¥140.16.
The pound bounced above $1.30 in mid-May when Prime Minister Theresa May’s call for a snap election was expected to boost her... Read more